The National Program Management Unit (PMU) of Saving One Million Lives Program for Result (SOML-PforR) under the amiable leadership of Dr. Ibrahim Kana, conducted an ORIENTATION RETREAT for the newly recruited representatives of the Program Support Unit (PSU) on the 23rd of March, 2018. The event was Chaired by the Permanent Secretary, Federal Ministry of Health, Mr. Osarenoma Clement Uwaifo.
The PSU main objective is to support the implementation of SOML-PforR by giving technical support to States in the following areas:
Strengthening Performance Management by:
- Providing technical assistance and support to states to develop and implement a system of performance management as well as build the management capacity of the state health leadership.
- Ensuring that states appoint a “Lead” (State Programme Manager) with commensurate capacity to be accountable for the performance management process.
- Supporting states and providing necessary technical expertise to analyse weaknesses in PHC service delivery, including availability of financial resources and development of appropriate action plans.
- Working closely with and providing ongoing support, tools and capacity building to state Leads and other state health leaders to analyse weaknesses in PHC performance and develop and implement corrective measures.
- Ensuring that its performance management officers are actively involved in, and where needed support, the organization, at least twice a year, of high level review meetings to discuss analysis and agree upon action plans. The meetings should have at least one of the three following officials present: Commissioner for Health, Permanent Secretary or Executive Director SPHCDA.
- Deploying full time consultant(s) to provide technical support to states that require it. The decision to deploy such will be taken in consultation with the Program Manager.
Support states to formulate plans to earn initial investments by:
- Developing plans to strengthen supportive supervision and introduce innovations.
- Providing expertise to states to analyse data to inform the design of their plans.
- Reviewing draft versions of the plans and providing feedback to improve them and.
- Reviewing and ensuring that final plans are of good quality.
Support to the Federal Ministry of Health on Performance Management by:
- Strengthening capacity of FMOH staff working on programs related to SOML.
- Carrying out training needs assessment.
- Examining how FMOH staff are currently tracking performance.
- Devising training program and follow up support program.
- Carrying out capacity building program as designed.
- Assessing the progress of FMOH staff’s capacity compared to baseline.
Assist FMOH with Expenditure Analysis.
The role of the PSU will be as part of DLI 5, to assist the FMOH and the Federal Government in analysing PHC expenditures, budgets, and releases and help FMOH strengthen its budget execution process.
Highlight of the meeting include the following presentations:
- Overview of SOML-PforR implementation and the Disbursement Linked Indicators
- Transforming Health using SOML: State of the Nigerian Primary Health Care System and how to improve it
- Performance Management and Assessment
- The Role of Program Support Unit
“The coming on board of the PSU is a major step and a testimony of the importance Government attaches to health especially the health of mothers and children in Nigeria. I call on you to commit to this course and give it the seriousness it deserves” – Mr. Clement Uwaifo, Permanent Secretary, FMOH
Present at the Retreat were:
|Mr Osarenoma C U||Fed Min of Health||Permanent Secretary|
|Ladi-Akinyemi Babatunde||APIN Public Health Initiatives||Director, Prevention and
|Hamisu Hassan||McDelphia Nig. Ltd||Consultant|
|Orji Nancy||Alecram Int Nigeria Services Ltd||Consultant|
|Dr Rabiu Ahmed R||Alecram Int Nigeria Services Ltd||Consultant|
|Innocent Asuelimen||Biomatrixx Healthcare Ltd||Consultant|
|Njoku Kingsley||Sifgate Int’l Ltd||Lead Person Consultant|
|Lanre Fatunbi||Sifgate Int’l Ltd||Consultant|
|Okonkwo Prosper||APIN Public Health Initiatives||Chief Executive Officer|
|Ayodeji Ajiboye||World Bank||H, Economist|
|Dr Benjamin Loevinsohn||World Bank||Chief, HNP|
|Dr Ritgak Tilley-Gyado||World Bank||Consultant Health Specialist|
|Dr Chima Elenwune||SOML-PforR||SPO|
|Asabe Sambo||BCC Consultant||–|
|Joshua Akinyemi||University of Ibadan||Consultant|
|Oyindamola Biden Yusuf||University of Ibadan||Consultant|
|Dr Grace Onotu||IVA||PM|
|Dr Ibrahim Kana||FMOH/SOML||National Prog. Manager|
|Dr Ojuolape Solanke||FMOH/SOML-PforR||SPO|
|Dr Jibrin B. Suleiman||FMOH/SOML-PforR||SPO/NWZC|
|Musa Ibrahim T||FMOH/SOML||Prog. Accountant|
|Mr Aliyu Muhammad Maigoro||McDelphia Nig. Ltd||Consultant|
Cross section of the Retreat Participants.
Dr. Ibrahim Kana presenting the “SOML_PforR Staff of Office” to the Permanent Secretary.
The Permanent Secretary presenting the “SOML_PforR Staff of Office” to the Representatives.